Monday, February 3, 2014

January Book Review: One Thousand Gifts

For the month of January, I chose the book "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp for a few main reasons. The first of which is that I had received this book from a dear friend of mine months prior, and after reading the first chapter I put it down. I'll explain - I have loved Voskamp's style of writing for quite some time (her blog aholyexperience.com is incredible), but it is often so beautifully depressing that I feel as though I cannot separate myself from it. For those who have not read the book, I won't ruin any details, but the first chapter or two are difficult to read. Her pain pulled my heart into the book and my soul itself felt as though it ached right along with her. Just as with her blog, this soul-ache pushed me to desperately want to know what the Lord was teaching her through thankfulness. Instead of putting it down and sitting in the depression as I did months ago, this month I moved forward and am so glad I did!

In all honesty, I want to write a exquisite book review about "One Thousand Gifts" but I know I simply cannot. Actually, that was something that the Lord has shown me through this past month reading the book - I don't always have to know exactly what to say or write. Sometimes I can post that it was a great book and I highly recommend it, without feeling burdened to write more and guilty that I am publishing a dull or lifeless post.

What I can say is that God used Voskamp's story of her search for grace in the everyday trials to remind me to slow down. All too often I find myself rushing to get to the next thing, straining to complete my lists, and in the process missing out on so much. I by no means have changed a great deal in this area of my life, but God has blessed me with several incredible opportunities that seemed to jump out at me and say "This is it! A grace moment! Savor it and worship your Savior in it!". One of these times was last week when I was watching Owen play with his Lego blocks. Typically when he is happily entertaining himself I begin to do other things, but for some reason, I decided to just sit and watch him. I am so grateful that I did. Slowing down enough to really take in his movements and expressions while he stacked the Legos together one-by-one brought me so much joy. It was such a small moment, but one that will stay with me for years. A moment that God used to remind me that finding joy and grace in the everyday routine means sitting at His feet and actually stopping long enough to thank Him for the gifts I have.

I also really enjoyed how Voskamp described learning thankfulness versus just being thankful. I had often struggled with not understanding why I wasn't thankful and why I just couldn't muster up enough thanks to make a difference, but her explanation of Philippians 4:11,12 struck me. Paul didn't merely give thanks in all circumstances, he learned how to be thankful in every circumstance. My prayer from that point forward was that the Lord would teach me how to be thankful, and I believe He has indeed began this work in my heart.

My biggest take away from this book was the gifts journal. I am a big proponent of journaling and have my journal with me nearly wherever I am. From reading this book, I have begun my own list of blessings, and although I am not close to 1,000 I am finding a lot of joy and excitement in slowing down and looking for more reasons to thank and praise God each day.

How about you? Have you read this book? If so, what did you think about it? If not, are you planning to?

Excited to continue this journey with you all! Remember to follow me on Twitter (@livingliketitus) and to use the hashtag "2014reads" to join in the conversation about the monthly books.

February's book - "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan

Until next post,
Sola Dei Gloria

1 comment:

  1. Loved this! I have read the book and found it to speak words and emotions to my soul that I could not even begin to express on my own. I'm glad you were honest about struggling to write an exquisite book review! You being you and sharing even a glimpse of what God taught you is an encouragement and testimony to read the book. It also has been hard for me to follow up the book with any additional poetic words of my own, it's usually just "YOU HAVE TO READ THIS" so I'd say your blog post accomplished that very well. :)

    ReplyDelete